Year: 1997 Source: Southern Medical Journal, v.90, no.6, (June 1997), p.647-648 SIEC No: 20030117

The authors report a suicide attempt with the camphorated phenol preparation Campho-Phenique. The patient had grand mal seizures minutes after ingestion. Supportive medical care & intubation resulted in full recovery within 12 hours. Although Campho-Phenique has been discussed extensively in pediatric literature & its accidental ingestion by adults has occasionally been reported, intentional ingestion of the preparation has not been reported before. The authors discuss the unusualness of the case & review the literature. (11 refs)