Year: 1972 Source: Annual Conference for the International Assoc for Suicide Prevention, (6th: 1972: Mexico), p.309-318 SIEC No: 19880215

This paper reports the observations of the author during an 8-month period spent in the ER of a large hospital. He reports that the attitude of staff members–residents, interns, nurses, & orderlies–toward suicide attempters was largely negative: “Only 10% recieved a positive response. The remaining 90% received a response ranging from 60% treated with indifferent neutrality, to 30% reacted to with outspoken hostility.” The etiology of negative responses are discussed & recommendations made.