Year: 1978 Source: Nursing Mirror, v.147, no.17, (October 1978), 4p. SIEC No: 19850845

The vast majority of household products are not hazardous when swallowed in small amounts. However, certain products such as bleach become hazardous when swallowed in large amounts. The case of a 65-year-old female who drank a cup of bleach is presented. She died 3 days after admission to hospital of bilateral basal bronchopneumonia, a complication of chlorine gas, which was caused by the reaction of gastric acid & bleach. Concentrated acid & alkali solutions are dangerous even in small amounts.